Fire mishap at India`s sole aircraft carrier INS Viraat
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A fire mishap took place on the India`s lone aircraft carrier INS Viraat last week off the coast of Mumbai. However, no one was reported injured in the incident.
The Indian Navy confirmed the incident and said that it was a minor fire mishap that was caused in the aircraft`s air conditioning system.
The sole aircraft carrier of the country has completed 26 years of its service with the Indian Navy.
The ship underwent last major modernisation and life enhancement refit in 2008-09, which gave it a life extension of a few more years.
Born in November 1959 as HMS Hermes, INS Viraat is also one of the longest serving aircraft carrier in the history of naval operations anywhere in the world.
Last month, submarine INS Sindhurakshak suffered heavy casualties after series of explosions killed 18 members of its crew and partially submerged the ship.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police