Fire mishap at India`s sole aircraft carrier INS Viraat
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A fire mishap took place on the India`s lone aircraft carrier INS Viraat last week off the coast of Mumbai. However, no one was reported injured in the incident.
The Indian Navy confirmed the incident and said that it was a minor fire mishap that was caused in the aircraft`s air conditioning system.
The sole aircraft carrier of the country has completed 26 years of its service with the Indian Navy.
The ship underwent last major modernisation and life enhancement refit in 2008-09, which gave it a life extension of a few more years.
Born in November 1959 as HMS Hermes, INS Viraat is also one of the longest serving aircraft carrier in the history of naval operations anywhere in the world.
Last month, submarine INS Sindhurakshak suffered heavy casualties after series of explosions killed 18 members of its crew and partially submerged the ship.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information