Firm on CBI probe, Chandrasekharan`s widow continues fast
Thiruvananthapuram: Sticking to the demand for a CBI probe into the conspiracy behind the murder of her husband, Revolutionary Marxist Party (RMP) leader K K Rema continued her fast for the fourth day on Thursday.
Even as the 42-year-old Rema`s health deteriorated, RMP leaders made it clear that she would carry on with the fast till the Congress-led UDF Government made a firm commitment towards recommending a CBI probe.
Last night, Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala had made an appeal to Rema to end her fast promising that legal and procedural possibilities of her demand would be looked into.
Though the development last night fuelled speculation that Rema was about to call off the stir, RMP leaders later resolved to go ahead with their campaign till the goal was met.
Clarfiying the government`s position, Chennithala, however, said whatever he did yesterday mean that the government had already taken a decision on the matter.
A CPI(M) rebel, who floated a parallel Left outfit called Revolutionary Marxist Party in his home turf Onchiyam in north Kerala, Chandrasekharan was hacked to death in May 2012.
Last month, a special court sentenced 11 persons, three of them local CPI(M) functionaries, to life imprisonment.
Congress, BJP and several human rights activists had come out openly supporting the demand since Rema began her fast in front of the government secretariat here on Monday.
CPI(M), however, dubbed it as an illegal and politically motivated move.
A fresh case was registered at Edachery police station in Kozhikode district on Tuesday, based on a complaint by Rema, alleging that her husband was the victim of a political conspiracy.
Meanwhile, BJP`s state unit today accused Oommen Chandy government of delaying a decision on the CBI probe "under pressure" from CPI(M). The party alleged that there appeared a "secret understanding" between the Congress and the CPI(M) over the issue.
Addressing a press meet here, BJP state President V Muraleedharan said the Home Minister should explain what was the obstacle in ordering a CBI probe into the matter even after the Director General of Prosecution had advised the government that there was no technical hitch for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015