Fishermen killing incident serious: Antony
New Delhi: Terming the incident of
killing of fishermen in Kerala by security guards of an
Italian ship as "serious and unfortunate", Defence Minister A
K Antony on Thursday said investigation is on and law will take its
own course in the matter.
"It is very serious and unfortunate incident," he told
reporters on sidelines of a function here at the South Block.
Underlining that strict vigil is maintained by the
authorities, Antony said, "Kerala police and Coast Guard
officers are visiting the people concerned...we want
everything as per law...At this stage, saying too much is not
correct. But I can tell you law will take its own course."
The Defence Minister was interacting with media
persons after distributing trophies to the IAF and BSF
marching contingents at the Republic Day Parade. The two teams
were adjudged the best marching contingents at the event.
On Wednesday night off the Kollam coast, two fishermen
in a boat were killed after guards on board an Italian
merchant vessel fired at them, suspecting them to be pirates.
Official sources said there were 11 fishermen in the
boat at the time of the incident. Of them nine were sleeping
and the driver and another person who were awake were shot
"There was no prior warning as reported by the crew,"
a source said, adding that the matter was now being
investigated by the Navy, Coast Guard and local police.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Theory that UPA blacklisted AgustaWestland 'figment of somebody's imagination', says Arun Jaitley
- Sex once a week best for your relationship
- 'The Flash' movie loses director over creative differences?
- Odd-even scheme again successful: Gopal Rai
- Wang Yihan ends Saina Nehwal's run at Asian Badminton Championship