Fishermen killing incident serious: Antony
New Delhi: Terming the incident of
killing of fishermen in Kerala by security guards of an
Italian ship as "serious and unfortunate", Defence Minister A
K Antony on Thursday said investigation is on and law will take its
own course in the matter.
"It is very serious and unfortunate incident," he told
reporters on sidelines of a function here at the South Block.
Underlining that strict vigil is maintained by the
authorities, Antony said, "Kerala police and Coast Guard
officers are visiting the people concerned...we want
everything as per law...At this stage, saying too much is not
correct. But I can tell you law will take its own course."
The Defence Minister was interacting with media
persons after distributing trophies to the IAF and BSF
marching contingents at the Republic Day Parade. The two teams
were adjudged the best marching contingents at the event.
On Wednesday night off the Kollam coast, two fishermen
in a boat were killed after guards on board an Italian
merchant vessel fired at them, suspecting them to be pirates.
Official sources said there were 11 fishermen in the
boat at the time of the incident. Of them nine were sleeping
and the driver and another person who were awake were shot
"There was no prior warning as reported by the crew,"
a source said, adding that the matter was now being
investigated by the Navy, Coast Guard and local police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report