Focus to attract foreign tourists: Sahay
Ranchi: Setting a target to attract one crore tourists from foreign countries over a period of time, Union Tourism Minister, Subodh Kant Sahay on Saturday said health tourism would be a thrust area.
"Eco-tourism, rural tourism and medical tourism can attract a lot of foreigners, particularly in Kerala," Sahay told a news conference here.
"It’s just 0.5 per cent tourists from foreign countries now, and our target will be to attract about one crore with the slogan ‘safe tourism and honourable tourism’," he said.
To a query on extremist shadow on tourism, Sahay said Maoists had never been a challenge to the growth of tourism.
Stating 65 crore domestic tourists criss-crossing the states during 2008/09, Sahay said his department would take initiatives to give the tourists the opportunities to spend their life qualitatively and comfortably in the lap of nature.
"The economy of Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia depends on international tourism," the minister said adding that the northern states had a tremendous scope to expand tourism.
Calling upon the state governments to coordinate with his department by suggesting proposals and implementing them within a time-frame and take advantage of tourism potential in generating job opportunities.
"We have also proposals to impart skill training to under-metriculate persons so that they can get jobs in various hotels," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand