Focus to attract foreign tourists: Sahay
Ranchi: Setting a target to attract one crore tourists from foreign countries over a period of time, Union Tourism Minister, Subodh Kant Sahay on Saturday said health tourism would be a thrust area.
"Eco-tourism, rural tourism and medical tourism can attract a lot of foreigners, particularly in Kerala," Sahay told a news conference here.
"It’s just 0.5 per cent tourists from foreign countries now, and our target will be to attract about one crore with the slogan ‘safe tourism and honourable tourism’," he said.
To a query on extremist shadow on tourism, Sahay said Maoists had never been a challenge to the growth of tourism.
Stating 65 crore domestic tourists criss-crossing the states during 2008/09, Sahay said his department would take initiatives to give the tourists the opportunities to spend their life qualitatively and comfortably in the lap of nature.
"The economy of Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia depends on international tourism," the minister said adding that the northern states had a tremendous scope to expand tourism.
Calling upon the state governments to coordinate with his department by suggesting proposals and implementing them within a time-frame and take advantage of tourism potential in generating job opportunities.
"We have also proposals to impart skill training to under-metriculate persons so that they can get jobs in various hotels," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand