Follow the path of Indian-Americans: US to Pak-Americans
Washington: The Obama Administration has asked Pakistani-Americans to emulate Indian-Americans in improving relations between Pakistan and the US just like the latter are instrumental in taking Indo-US ties in recent years.
"The Pakistani diaspora in the US can play important role in improving US-Pak relations, just as the Indian diaspora in this country already play a very affirmative role in terms of strengthening bonds between our two countries," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs PJ Crowley told reporters.
He said this was all part of US` ongoing effort to try to help do a better job of explaining the importance of this relationship which benefits both the countries. "But it obviously continues to be a challenge."
Hillary Clinton, after becoming Secretary of State, has been instrumental in motivating Pakistani-Americans to come together and work towards building people to people bond
between the two nations.
She led the role in the formation of the American Pakistan Foundation (APF) early this year. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell and former Pakistani Prime Minister Moen
Qureshi, were its co-chairs, he said.
"The goal of APF is to serve as a catalyst for social and economic progress from the smallest villages to the largest cities of Pakistan through strategic philanthropy and
public-private partnerships," Powell and Qureshi had said in an op-ed in February this year.
"The Pakistani-American community has a great opportunity to develop this organisation, which will impact the lives of Pakistani people and strengthen the bonds of
friendship between the Pakistani and American people," they wrote.
At the foundation`s inaugural event in December in New York, Clinton said: "Pakistan is at a critical juncture, and we are here to show solidarity with the people of Pakistan.
"Whether we hail from the government or the private
sector or academia, the not-for-profit sector, whether we have
family ties in Pakistan or just wish that we did, we all have
a stake in Pakistan`s future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP