Follow the path of Indian-Americans: US to Pak-Americans
Washington: The Obama Administration has asked Pakistani-Americans to emulate Indian-Americans in improving relations between Pakistan and the US just like the latter are instrumental in taking Indo-US ties in recent years.
"The Pakistani diaspora in the US can play important role in improving US-Pak relations, just as the Indian diaspora in this country already play a very affirmative role in terms of strengthening bonds between our two countries," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs PJ Crowley told reporters.
He said this was all part of US` ongoing effort to try to help do a better job of explaining the importance of this relationship which benefits both the countries. "But it obviously continues to be a challenge."
Hillary Clinton, after becoming Secretary of State, has been instrumental in motivating Pakistani-Americans to come together and work towards building people to people bond
between the two nations.
She led the role in the formation of the American Pakistan Foundation (APF) early this year. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell and former Pakistani Prime Minister Moen
Qureshi, were its co-chairs, he said.
"The goal of APF is to serve as a catalyst for social and economic progress from the smallest villages to the largest cities of Pakistan through strategic philanthropy and
public-private partnerships," Powell and Qureshi had said in an op-ed in February this year.
"The Pakistani-American community has a great opportunity to develop this organisation, which will impact the lives of Pakistani people and strengthen the bonds of
friendship between the Pakistani and American people," they wrote.
At the foundation`s inaugural event in December in New York, Clinton said: "Pakistan is at a critical juncture, and we are here to show solidarity with the people of Pakistan.
"Whether we hail from the government or the private
sector or academia, the not-for-profit sector, whether we have
family ties in Pakistan or just wish that we did, we all have
a stake in Pakistan`s future."
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic
- Updated WhatsApp with 'call back', voice mail, video calling features coming soon!
- Ancient Hindu temple reopens after 27 years in Srinagar, Kashmiri Pandits jubilant
- AgustaWestland yet to return entire down payment made by India for VVIP choppers: Report
- This is how Priyanka Chopra spends her day off from 'Baywatch' sets! Check out in pics