Food Security Bill: Govt to accept "workable" amendments, says Kamal Nath
New Delhi: Government on Monday came under sharp attack on the issue of crucial files of Coal ministry going missing, with the Opposition alleging that it was a conspiracy to save Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the coal blocks allocation scam and demanding an impartial probe into it.
Opposition was vociferous while raising the issue in the Rajya Sabha, seeking to corner the government by demanding a statement from Prime Minister or Coal Minister on the issue.
Responding to the demand, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajeev Shukla assured the House that Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal will make a statement on the issue but gave no time frame.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, BJP`s Dharmendra Pradhan said such an incident has never happened earlier and the government needs to reply.
"This is a very serious issue... Nothing can be more condemnable. This is a conspiracy... It is an attempt to save the Prime Minister," said Pradhan, wondering if the coal department had a hand in missing of files to protect the Prime Minister from any allegation as he held the Coal portfolio earlier.
Noting that the coal block allocation is being probed by CBI, Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley said, "There are three powerful targets of investigation and suddenly the files are missing...The government must respond to this...Otherwise you eliminate the evidence and then say no crime is committed.
"There are three important targets of investigation - the beneficiaries who benefited from coal block allocations, the screening committee which allotted the mines and the Minister, the Minister`s office and the Prime Minister`s Office."
Terming it as a "very serious matter" and "sabotaging of the investigations", Left parties demanded an explanation from the government and urged the Prime Minister to order an impartial probe into the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...