Former Bangladesh PM Khaleda Zia meets President
New Delhi: Former Bangladesh prime minister Khaleda Zia Saturday met President Pranab Mukherjee and discussed the two neighbours` long and lasting relationship.
Zia, who is the leader of opposition and chairperson of Bangladesh Nationalist Party, met Mukherjee Saturday morning, according to a statement issued here.
The president enquired about her visit to the Sufi shrine at Ajmer Sharif, it added.
"He (president) said India admires Begum Zia`s contribution to the development of Bangladesh both as the prime minister and leader of opposition," the statement said.
"India attaches the highest importance to our relations with Bangladesh which is a close neighbour," it added.
Zia, who had arrived in India Oct 28, also had meetings with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid. She also met Sushma Swaraj, leader of the opposition in the Lok Sabha, National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon and Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai.
"He (president) called for the establishment of close and friendly relations between India and Bangladesh and said there exists tremendous potential for cooperation between the two countries. It is possible to change friends but not neighbours.
"The two countries must live in a friendly atmosphere and do their utmost to strengthen cooperation in all fields. He also reiterated the determination of India to address all concerns of Bangladesh," the statement said..
"She (Zia) reiterated the commitment of her party to the establishment of strong and friendly relations with India," the statement added.
Zia last came to India on an official visit as the prime minister of Bangladesh in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in