Former Bangladesh PM Khaleda Zia meets President
New Delhi: Former Bangladesh prime minister Khaleda Zia Saturday met President Pranab Mukherjee and discussed the two neighbours` long and lasting relationship.
Zia, who is the leader of opposition and chairperson of Bangladesh Nationalist Party, met Mukherjee Saturday morning, according to a statement issued here.
The president enquired about her visit to the Sufi shrine at Ajmer Sharif, it added.
"He (president) said India admires Begum Zia`s contribution to the development of Bangladesh both as the prime minister and leader of opposition," the statement said.
"India attaches the highest importance to our relations with Bangladesh which is a close neighbour," it added.
Zia, who had arrived in India Oct 28, also had meetings with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid. She also met Sushma Swaraj, leader of the opposition in the Lok Sabha, National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon and Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai.
"He (president) called for the establishment of close and friendly relations between India and Bangladesh and said there exists tremendous potential for cooperation between the two countries. It is possible to change friends but not neighbours.
"The two countries must live in a friendly atmosphere and do their utmost to strengthen cooperation in all fields. He also reiterated the determination of India to address all concerns of Bangladesh," the statement said..
"She (Zia) reiterated the commitment of her party to the establishment of strong and friendly relations with India," the statement added.
Zia last came to India on an official visit as the prime minister of Bangladesh in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak