Former Chief of Naval Staff Dawson dead
Bangalore: Former Chief of Naval Staff,
retired Admiral Oscar Stanley Dawson, died here on Sunday due to
Dawson (87) was a bachelor and leaves behind his only
sister Thelma, a press release said.
Commissioned in 1943, Dawson served as the Chief of Naval
Staff from March 1, 1982 until his retirement on November 30,
He was one of the original architects of Project Seabird,
which aimed to provide the Indian Navy with an integrated base
on the western seaboard.
Dawson was awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal and Ati
Vishisht Seva Medal, among others. Besides, he was the first
Aide-de-Camp (ADC) to the first President Rajendra Prasad
He was Director of Naval Operations, Naval Headquarters
during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971 and was awarded the Ati
Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for his services and leadership
during the conflict.
He had served as India`s High Commissioner to New Zealand.
He also commanded Goa Shipyard, INS Vikrant, INS Talwar,
INS Nilgiri and continued as Honorary ADC to the President of
India until his death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader