Former Chief of Naval Staff Dawson dead
Bangalore: Former Chief of Naval Staff,
retired Admiral Oscar Stanley Dawson, died here on Sunday due to
Dawson (87) was a bachelor and leaves behind his only
sister Thelma, a press release said.
Commissioned in 1943, Dawson served as the Chief of Naval
Staff from March 1, 1982 until his retirement on November 30,
He was one of the original architects of Project Seabird,
which aimed to provide the Indian Navy with an integrated base
on the western seaboard.
Dawson was awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal and Ati
Vishisht Seva Medal, among others. Besides, he was the first
Aide-de-Camp (ADC) to the first President Rajendra Prasad
He was Director of Naval Operations, Naval Headquarters
during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971 and was awarded the Ati
Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for his services and leadership
during the conflict.
He had served as India`s High Commissioner to New Zealand.
He also commanded Goa Shipyard, INS Vikrant, INS Talwar,
INS Nilgiri and continued as Honorary ADC to the President of
India until his death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH