Former Chief of Naval Staff Dawson dead
Bangalore: Former Chief of Naval Staff,
retired Admiral Oscar Stanley Dawson, died here on Sunday due to
Dawson (87) was a bachelor and leaves behind his only
sister Thelma, a press release said.
Commissioned in 1943, Dawson served as the Chief of Naval
Staff from March 1, 1982 until his retirement on November 30,
He was one of the original architects of Project Seabird,
which aimed to provide the Indian Navy with an integrated base
on the western seaboard.
Dawson was awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal and Ati
Vishisht Seva Medal, among others. Besides, he was the first
Aide-de-Camp (ADC) to the first President Rajendra Prasad
He was Director of Naval Operations, Naval Headquarters
during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971 and was awarded the Ati
Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for his services and leadership
during the conflict.
He had served as India`s High Commissioner to New Zealand.
He also commanded Goa Shipyard, INS Vikrant, INS Talwar,
INS Nilgiri and continued as Honorary ADC to the President of
India until his death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV): A new tool in the fight against polio – Watch to know more about it!
- Planning a trip to USA? Check out top 5 attractions for a family holiday this summer!
- One killed in Sydney mall shooting
- Eva Mendes' brother Carlos loses cancer battle
- Swamy challenges expunging of comments in RS