Former Chief of Naval Staff Dawson dead
Bangalore: Former Chief of Naval Staff,
retired Admiral Oscar Stanley Dawson, died here on Sunday due to
Dawson (87) was a bachelor and leaves behind his only
sister Thelma, a press release said.
Commissioned in 1943, Dawson served as the Chief of Naval
Staff from March 1, 1982 until his retirement on November 30,
He was one of the original architects of Project Seabird,
which aimed to provide the Indian Navy with an integrated base
on the western seaboard.
Dawson was awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal and Ati
Vishisht Seva Medal, among others. Besides, he was the first
Aide-de-Camp (ADC) to the first President Rajendra Prasad
He was Director of Naval Operations, Naval Headquarters
during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971 and was awarded the Ati
Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for his services and leadership
during the conflict.
He had served as India`s High Commissioner to New Zealand.
He also commanded Goa Shipyard, INS Vikrant, INS Talwar,
INS Nilgiri and continued as Honorary ADC to the President of
India until his death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days