Frequent disruptions in Parliament matter of concern: Meira Kumar
Shimla: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said frequent disruptions in Parliament over frivolous issues has not only lowered the credibility of the institution but was "lethal" for India`s democratic system and character.
Addressing a special session of Himachal Pradesh Assembly to mark its Golden Jubilee, Kumar said that it was a matter of regret that 73.30 valuable hours of Parliament were wasted due to interruptions during its last session.
Raising serious concern over the growing tendency of members to frequently interrupt the Parliament over frivolous issues, Kumar said the MPs should strongly put forth their viewpoints and avoid such "uncalled for" interruptions.
She, however, said that it was a matter of satisfaction that despite interruptions of proceedings, the Lok Sabha did pass important bills relating to food security, land acquisition, rehabilitation of manual scavengers, pension and development authority.
Calling upon the elected representatives to become harbingers of social and economic change by their "exemplary conduct", Kumar said enactment of stringent laws was not enough and mindset of people needs to be changed as well.
"Unless people do not change their mindset, no law however stringent would make any difference.
"We can overcome the prejudices and root out the social evils but for this the issues that ensure social and economic equality have to be raised forcefully in the house" she said.
Kumar was in Shimla to preside over the golden jubilee celebrations of the Himachal Pradesh Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read