Friends, foes helped Cong stave off cut motions challenge
New Delhi: The Congress-led coalition
managed to stave off the challenge posed by opposition in cut
motions in the Lok Sabha yesterday thanks to the help from a
number of friends as well as foes.
The JD(U), which is part of the BJP-led NDA, had not
issued a whip to its 20 members. Neither did the 14 member
BJD, which has Congress as its main rival in Orissa, where it
is ruling, a senior minister said.
There were also some abstentions from the Shiv Sena
which has 11 members and is the oldest ideological ally of the
Jaswant Singh, who was expelled by the BJP sometime
back, surprised his former party by supporting the cut
The move, however, proved costly for the BJP as JMM
chief and Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren startled all by
voting against the cut motions.
Union Minister B K Handique and Congress member from
Uttar Pradesh Harshvardhan were brought from hospital to be
present at the trial of strength.
From the UPA side, three MPs were absent including
Abdul Mannan (Cong), Udayanraje Bhosale (NCP) and a Trinamool
Dismissing Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma
Swaraj`s statement that the government was in minority,
Parliamentary Affairs Minister P K Bansal said "They (the BJP)
should learn a lesson now and they should not try again".
Efforts to destabilise the government has failed, he
said, adding, the approach of the opposition to press for
division on cut motions was not proper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city