Future grim if female infanticide, foeticide continue: NCW
Nagpur: With growing incidence of female infanticide and foeticide in the country, about two crore eligible bachelors will find it hard to get brides in the coming time, National Commission for Women on Wednesday said.
"The NCW is apprehensive that about two crore eligible bachelors will face acute shortage of finding women to marry. It will be difficult for these young boys to find girls for marriage if the trend of female foeticide and infanticide continues," NCW Chairperson Mamata Sharma said.
She said the finding was based on data the NCW culled from various surveys and other sources.
"The female sex ratio would be dropped to such a level that it would be very difficult to bridge the huge gap," she told reporters.
Sharma is in the city to participate in a function.
She said the NCW was initiating steps to curb trafficking of women to India from the border areas of Pakistan, Nepal, China and Bangladesh.
"Nepal border is more sensitive as compared to others. The NCW will soon hold a meeting with director generals of security forces manning borders on the issue," she said.
Sharma said NCW was intensifying its awareness campaign to stop the practice of female foeticide and infanticide, which she said was prevalent in some parts of the country.
She said the Commission was in the process of signing an MoU with the Western Railways in a bid to sensitise its staff on how to behave with passengers, especially women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’