Gadkari formally elected BJP President
New Delhi: Nitin Gadkari, who was acting President of the BJP since December, was today unanimously elected to the top post in the presence of the party brass, making him the youngest leader ever to occupy the chair.
Gadkari, 52, was the only candidate to file nomination for the post.
Nominations in his favour were received from 13 state party units while one proposal came from BJP Parliamentary Party.
BJP General Secretary Thawar Chand Gehlot, who was in-charge of the organisational elections, handed over the election certificate to Gadkari.
Though the poll process was a mere charade - as Gadkari has been propped up by the RSS - the party went by its constitution in completing elections to 19 state units to meet
the criteria of holding polls in half of the states.
Senior party leaders LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Rajnath Singh and M Venkaiah Naidu, among others, were present.
"A big responsibility has been entrusted to me by the party. This chair has earlier been graced by leaders like Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Advani and it is my good fortune to occupy it," Gadkari said.
He asserted that he would strive to make the party stronger with price rise and internal security being the prime issues on which BJP will take on the government.
Reeling under two successive Lok Sabha poll defeats, BJP today appeared in a festive mood after a long time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter