Gadkari says media houses ‘defaming’ him, plans legal battle
Nagpur: BJP president Nitin Gadkari Monday termed the corruption charges levelled against him "a conspiracy by the Congress" and also blamed the media for acting as that party`s "agents".
Gadkari, who arrived here Monday and was accorded a warm welcome by his supporters, said he will file a legal case against all those who have been part of the defamatory campaign against him.
"Some media groups are acting as agents of Congress party. Two English TV channels and one English national daily are responsible for the campaign against me," Gadkari said.
"A big media group had routed black money parked in London via Mauritius and manipulated shares worth Rs.10 each by selling them at Rs.38,000 each," he alleged.
He, however, did not name the media house, but claimed he possessed relevant documents.
Gadkari was recently accused of illegally acquiring government land and of running a fake investment company.
The BJP chief alleged the conspiracy to defame him has been hatched to shield Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra, who is involved in "inappropriate" land deals worth millions.
"I am going to file a legal case. There is a leader in Congress, Manish Tewari, who has now become a minister. He had falsely alleged that I had bought a flat in Adarsh (Housing Society). I had filed a case against him and he asked me to forgive him," Gadkari said.
"Now I have filed cases against everyone, including (Congress general secretary) Digvijay Singh. Now they don`t even remember how many cases have been filed against them. This is a conspiracy by the Congress party as their son-in-law has amassed lands worth millions," he said.
He also said that the allegations against his company, Purti Group, were false.
India Against Corruption (IAC) member Arvind Kejriwal had levelled allegations related to land deals in Maharashtra against the BJP chief. The latest allegations against Gadkari are about improper business dealings as chairman of the Purti Group.
The income tax department and the company affairs ministry have begun separate inquiries into Gadkari`s firm and its financial dealings with 26 investor companies.
Earlier this month, another IAC member, Anjali Damania, alleged that Gadkari had acquired 100 acres of farmers` land through dubious means for his trust. Gadkari had sought to refute these charges too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25