Gandhy claims he was illegally detained for four days
New Delhi: Kobad Gandhy, a Polit Bureau
member of the banned CPI (Maoist), today alleged that he was
kept in illegal detention for four days in the national
capital before police recorded his arrest on September 21.
However, police denied the allegation and said they
arrested him on September 21 night from Bhikaji Cama Place
acting on intelligence inputs.
"I was detained on September 17 but the arrest was
recorded on September 21 only," Gandhy told PTI at G B Pant
Hospital where he was brought by police for medical check.
Gandhy, who is in charge of spreading the
organisation`s influence in urban areas, has been found
suffering from prostrate cancer and cardiac problems. He is
presently lodged in Tihar jail.
He said he was in the party for a long time and was
helping the CPI (Maoist) in bringing out the publications. "I
have been assigned many works by the party," he added.
Gandhy was brought to the hospital at around 10:15 am
for a check up by specialists in oncology and cardiac
The Maoists had claimed that a "weak element" in their
party, who was acting as his courier, gave information to
police about Gandhy`s movements.
They also claimed that Gandhy, whom they claim is a
"role model for new generation", had "just returned from a
trip to the guerrilla zone".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends