Gender bias in forces should be removed: PC
New Delhi: Pitching for equal
opportunities for women, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
Saturday said the gender bias existing in security forces should
The minister said one of the reasons for setting up
Mahilla Battalions was to remove gender bias against women
that they cannot perform certain duties.
"Properly trained, properly equipped and given the
right opportunities, women can do just as well as men in every
walk of life," Chidambaram said addressing the first Nagaland
Women Battalion, who were deployed in the national capital for
the security of the just-concluded Commonwealth Games.
The about 1,000 women personnel of the Nagaland Armed
Police (Indian Reserve), were deployed in various markets here
besides at Delhi Metro stations during the Games duration.
The personnel, who have undergone the initial general
training, were still undergoing an advance weapon and tactics
jungle warfare training when they were taken out to be
Observing that physical structure of women is
different from that of men and that an average man is
physically stronger than an average woman, Chidambaram said
they make up for that with certain other qualities like
adaptability, resilience and at times better judgement.
"We are of the view that that the gender bias that has
existed for many many years in the armed forces, our
paramilitary forces, should be removed and women must be given
the same opportunity that men have relating to every kind of
security duty and to rise through the ranks to hold the
highest posts in the security forces," the minister said.
Earlier, while welcoming Chidambaram, Battalion
Commander Meren Jamir had said that it would be helpful if
his personnel are given lighter and sleeker AK 47 weapons than
the long SLRs that they are using.
Chidambaram, later speaking to reporters, said it is
not a big problem and can be sorted out. He said the
government is buying a number of AK 47s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed