Gender bias in forces should be removed: PC
New Delhi: Pitching for equal
opportunities for women, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
Saturday said the gender bias existing in security forces should
The minister said one of the reasons for setting up
Mahilla Battalions was to remove gender bias against women
that they cannot perform certain duties.
"Properly trained, properly equipped and given the
right opportunities, women can do just as well as men in every
walk of life," Chidambaram said addressing the first Nagaland
Women Battalion, who were deployed in the national capital for
the security of the just-concluded Commonwealth Games.
The about 1,000 women personnel of the Nagaland Armed
Police (Indian Reserve), were deployed in various markets here
besides at Delhi Metro stations during the Games duration.
The personnel, who have undergone the initial general
training, were still undergoing an advance weapon and tactics
jungle warfare training when they were taken out to be
Observing that physical structure of women is
different from that of men and that an average man is
physically stronger than an average woman, Chidambaram said
they make up for that with certain other qualities like
adaptability, resilience and at times better judgement.
"We are of the view that that the gender bias that has
existed for many many years in the armed forces, our
paramilitary forces, should be removed and women must be given
the same opportunity that men have relating to every kind of
security duty and to rise through the ranks to hold the
highest posts in the security forces," the minister said.
Earlier, while welcoming Chidambaram, Battalion
Commander Meren Jamir had said that it would be helpful if
his personnel are given lighter and sleeker AK 47 weapons than
the long SLRs that they are using.
Chidambaram, later speaking to reporters, said it is
not a big problem and can be sorted out. He said the
government is buying a number of AK 47s.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!