GoM on CBI autonomy is an eyewash: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday termed as "an eyewash" the decision of the central government to form a Group of Ministers (GoM) to look into the issue of autonomy of the Central Bureau of Investigation.
"The Group of Ministers is only an eyewash. This has been a key point in the debate on Lokpal, and it has already been debated extensively," BJP leader Arun Jaitley said.
"Our members in the select committee of Rajya Sabha for the Lokpal bill had also suggested as to how the CBI can be made independent of government. The union cabinet has approved the Lokpal bill. There is some disagreement on two-three points but on many issues we are in agreement," he added.
"In such a situation, starting the debate from zero does not make sense," Jaitley added.
The government Tuesday constituted a GoM to prepare a law on the autonomy and independence of the CBI in the wake of Supreme Court`s scathing observations on the investigating agency following its affidavit in the case relating to the allocation of coal blocks.
The apex court had called the CBI a "caged parrot".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus