GoM on CBI autonomy is an eyewash: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday termed as "an eyewash" the decision of the central government to form a Group of Ministers (GoM) to look into the issue of autonomy of the Central Bureau of Investigation.
"The Group of Ministers is only an eyewash. This has been a key point in the debate on Lokpal, and it has already been debated extensively," BJP leader Arun Jaitley said.
"Our members in the select committee of Rajya Sabha for the Lokpal bill had also suggested as to how the CBI can be made independent of government. The union cabinet has approved the Lokpal bill. There is some disagreement on two-three points but on many issues we are in agreement," he added.
"In such a situation, starting the debate from zero does not make sense," Jaitley added.
The government Tuesday constituted a GoM to prepare a law on the autonomy and independence of the CBI in the wake of Supreme Court`s scathing observations on the investigating agency following its affidavit in the case relating to the allocation of coal blocks.
The apex court had called the CBI a "caged parrot".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH