Government has no data on Swiss bank money: RTI activist told
New Delhi: There is no verifiable data about the quantum of Indian money kept in Swiss banks, the government has told a Right to Information (RTI) activist.
Responding to queries by RTI activist Subash Chandra Agarwal, the Department of Revenue of the Ministry of Finance said efforts had been made from time to time to seek details of Indian account holders from the Swiss government under the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between the two countries.
The reply said the Swiss Federal Tax Administration has expressed its inability to exchange the information regarding bank deposits of Indian residents as the information was not necessary for the application of DTAA between the two countries but was required only for enforcement of India`s internal laws.
The Swiss authority also replied that such information was not at its disposal under the country`s laws in the normal course of tax administration.
"However, the protocol revisiting the existing DTAA between India and Switzerland has been recently signed which inter-alia seeks to amend the article concerning exchange of information by which India could obtain banking information in specific cases for prospective information," the revenue department said in its reply.
In answer to another query, the revenue department said the division dealing with exchange of information with foreign tax authorities under DTAA does not have any information or database regarding all foreign banks involved in stashing India`s money.
It said the banking information from various countries with which India has DTAA is sought when requested in prescribed proforma by the filed authorities.
"Whenever any such information is received, it is subjected to confidentiality provisions of DTAA and may only be used for the tax purposes specified therein and hence exempted from disclosure under sections 8(1)(a) and 8(1)(f) of the RTI Act, 2005," the revenue department said.
About Agarwal`s queries relating to sale and consumption of gold, including its unaccounted trade, the Foreign Tax and Tax Research-I Division said that the questions did not pertain to the division.
About the German government offering help in revealing details of account holders from India, the Department of Revenue said that following persistent efforts of the government, the German Federal Central Tax Office provided information in March 2009 about Indian taxpayers who had accounts with LGT bank in Liechtenstein in the CD (compact disc) available with them.
"The information received from German authorities was passed on to the respective income tax authorities for getting necessary action taken under the relevant provisions of Income Tax Act 1961 and Wealth Tax Act, 1957," the reply said.
Agarwal said he had appealed to the Central Public Information Officer of concerned division of the Department of Revenue to transfer his unanswered questions to the appropriate public authority. He said information about file notings of his RTI application should also be provided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo