Government to set up fool-proof phone tapping setup soon
New delhi: Unauthorised tapping of telephones will soon be a matter of past as the government has decided to operationalise a fool-proof Central Monitoring System (CMS) which will put an end to all illegal interception.
The CMS, which enables security agencies to monitor phones and internet communications of suspected persons, will ensure that monitoring of phone calls, text messages and internet use of citizens will be done only by government agencies after taking due permission from designated authority.
"We will soon operationalise the CMS. It will be a fool-proof monitoring system," Union Home Secretary RK Singh told reporters here.
The CMS will put an end to the involvement of telephone operators in phone tapping and if any agency wishes to monitor any particular number will have to keep all record online -- taking permission, duration of monitoring, what did they found and the persons involved in the whole process -- so that the person concerned could be brought to task if there is any irregularity.
The Home Secretary will soon chair a review meeting on the CMS and its operationalisation along with all stake holders - the Ministry of Telecom and Department of Information Technology.
The government has been maintaining that it is setting up CMS to safeguard citizen`s privacy from mobile operators and protects national security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka