Govt committed to ensuring security of diplomats: MEA
New Delhi: India on Wednesday said it was fully committed to ensuring security of all diplomats, including those from the US, within confines of its law and pledged full implementation of the Vienna Convention while asking other countries to do the same.
With India stripping US diplomats and their families of privileges including withdrawing airport passes and removing of security barricades around their embassy in retaliation to the treatment meted out to its Deputy Consul General in New York Devyani Khobragade, the US said it has conveyed at high levels its expectation that India will continue to fulfil its obligations under the Convention and ensure safety and security of its our diplomats.
Reacting to the the US remarks, the Spokesperson in External Affairs Ministry said, "The Vienna Conventions are global conventions and all countries are committed towards it. For diplomats like us the Vienna Conventions are the shield and armour that protect us.
"We are committed to implementing Vienna Conventions, will implement them fully and ask them to be implemented fully. There is no change in security situation as regards any diplomats in India, including US diplomats.
"We are fully committed to ensuring security of all diplomats, we will provide full safety and security within confines of Indian law."
Responding to questions about the withdrawal of certain privileges given by India to US diplomats after the arrest and inhuman treatment of Khobragade, the State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf told reporters that the US has conveyed to India its expectations in this regard.
"We`ll continue to work with India to ensure that all of our diplomats and consular officers are being afforded full rights and protections. Safety and security of our facilities as well is something we take very seriously, and we`ll keep working with the Indians on that," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued