Govt committed to ensuring security of diplomats: MEA
New Delhi: India on Wednesday said it was fully committed to ensuring security of all diplomats, including those from the US, within confines of its law and pledged full implementation of the Vienna Convention while asking other countries to do the same.
With India stripping US diplomats and their families of privileges including withdrawing airport passes and removing of security barricades around their embassy in retaliation to the treatment meted out to its Deputy Consul General in New York Devyani Khobragade, the US said it has conveyed at high levels its expectation that India will continue to fulfil its obligations under the Convention and ensure safety and security of its our diplomats.
Reacting to the the US remarks, the Spokesperson in External Affairs Ministry said, "The Vienna Conventions are global conventions and all countries are committed towards it. For diplomats like us the Vienna Conventions are the shield and armour that protect us.
"We are committed to implementing Vienna Conventions, will implement them fully and ask them to be implemented fully. There is no change in security situation as regards any diplomats in India, including US diplomats.
"We are fully committed to ensuring security of all diplomats, we will provide full safety and security within confines of Indian law."
Responding to questions about the withdrawal of certain privileges given by India to US diplomats after the arrest and inhuman treatment of Khobragade, the State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf told reporters that the US has conveyed to India its expectations in this regard.
"We`ll continue to work with India to ensure that all of our diplomats and consular officers are being afforded full rights and protections. Safety and security of our facilities as well is something we take very seriously, and we`ll keep working with the Indians on that," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what