Govt defends Mamata`s speech in Lalgarh
New Delhi: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee`s
speech in Maoist-dominated Lalgarh which created a political
storm was today defended by the government, which said
whatever she has spoken was not against the UPA`s policy.
"Mamata Banerjee attended the Lalgarh rally on August 9 as
chief of Trinamool Congress. Whatever she said there was not
against the government`s policy," Parliamentary Affairs
Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said in Rajya Sabha.
He said that she spoke against violence and government`s
policy against violence is quite clear.
Bansal spoke on the matter shortly before the House was
adjourned sine die.
Bansal`s statement came in the wake of sharp criticism by
Opposition parties yesterday of Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee`s remark that he found "nothing wrong" in Banerjee`s
statement on the killing of Maoist leader Azad.
"The Finance Minister`s remark was tantamount to the
government running with the hare and hunting with the hound,"
Sitaram Yechury (CPI-M) said in Rajya Sabha on Monday.
Mukherjee had said in Kolkata on Sunday that there was no
reason to suspect that Banerjee had links with Maoists if she
thought that the Naxal problem could be negotiated through
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015