Govt mulls amendment in child labour act
New Delhi: The government is considering an amendment in the Child Labour Act to ban children up to the age of 14 from engaging in any form of labour.
The move is being intiated in keeping with the provision of Right to Education Act that guatantees education to children till 14 years of age.
"Our aim is to see that children within 14 years are completely banned from child labour," Labour and Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge said.
Speaking at a function here, he said India`s commitment to eradicate child labour is as old as the civilisation itself.
He highlighted the latest NSSO survey which said that there has been a 45 per cent drop in child labour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India