Govt to decide on SG`s resignation in 2-3 days
New Delhi: Government will take a decision
in the next "two to three days" on the resignation of
Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium who has so far refused to
reconsider his decision despite being asked by Prime Minister
Law Minister M Veerappa Moily today discussed the issue
with the Prime Minister and also spoke with Subramanium at
least thrice in the day, sources said.
Significantly, Moily, who had asked Subramanium to
reconsider his decision on Saturday, did not press him to
withdraw the resignation on Monday, the sources said.
Subramanium, who has resigned following appointment of a
private advocate to represent Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal in
a case of PIL against him, was not seen in the Supreme Court
"No decision has been taken so far on the resignation
of the Solicitor General. A decision is expected in the next
two or three days," top sources in the government said here.
Meanwhile, sources close to Subramanium said he has
not yet decided on the issue of withdrawing his resignation.
Sources in the Law Ministry said the issue of hiring
Rohington Nariman on `special engagement` was "over" as the
Supreme Court has refrained from passing any order on a PIL
filed against Sibal, accusing him of reducing a penalty amount
to favour Anil Ambani-headed Reliance Telecom.
"He is on our panel and we had hired him on July 9 for
the limited purpose of appearing before the SC on the
affidavit filed against Sibal," they said.
Moily, who was in Bangalore when Subramanium sent his
resignation to the Prime Minister, met the latter this morning
to discuss the controversy surrounding the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report