Govt’s anti-graft bill was toothless: Kiran Bedi
New Delhi: The anti-graft Lokpal Bill drafted by the government was like a rubber ball which could have been easily twisted to protect the corrupt, social activist and former Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Kiran Bedi said here Tuesday.
Bedi said that it was during the detection of scams that the activists came across the draft of Lokpal Bill which was absolutely toothless in nature and decided to draft an independent anti-graft bill called Jan Lokpal Bill.
Speaking at an interactive session organised by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Ladies Organisation, Bedi narrated the journey of the movement against corruption which started with a few activists and spread across the country.
‘It all started when the scams in the CWG (Commonwealth Games) and Aadarsh Housing Society (inMumbai). I and (transparency activist) Arvind Kejriwal wondered why no FIR (first information report) was registered regarding this (Games scam),’ she said.
‘We decided to lodge a complaint in the context of unprecedented bungling in the Games and launched a rally on Nov 14,’ said Bedi.
‘It is disappointing that our enforcement bodies like CVC (Central Vigilance Commission) are independent but advisory in nature. The CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) has capable people but it works under political influence. And the bureaucrats too are hand in glove with politicians,’ said Bedi.
Expressing concern over rampant corruption, Bedi said: ‘We need to wage a war against corruption collectively. In fact, this is the first time in the history of India that the draft of any bill has been prepared by the people along with the government.’
Bedi said that the government must implement the bill by Aug 15 otherwise there will be a nationwide agitation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump