Gujarat finally hands over Prajapati case to CBI
Gandhinagar: After dragging its feet for over a month, Gujarat Police`s criminal investigation department (CID) Monday handed over the probe into Tulsiram Prajapati killing to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The papers of the case were handed over to the central investigating agency, police sources here said.
Prajapati was a close associate of Sohrabuddin Sheikh who was allegedly killed in a fake gunfight by the Gujarat police in Ahmedabad. The state CID was initially vested with the investigation of both the Sohrabuddin and the Prajapati cases. However, under orders of the Supreme Court the Sohrabuddin case was handed over to the CBI in January this year.
The apex court had also mandated the CBI to investigate the wider conspiracy in the case, which led the agency to the killing of Prajapati, who was the sole eye-witness to Sheikh`s abduction by the Gujarat police and his subsequent elimination.
Though the CBI kept asking for the papers of the Prajapati case, the CID did not hand these over to the agency. Instead, the CID speeded up its own probe, arresting former district superintendent of police Vipul Agrawal, police inspector Ashish Pandya, and four other policemen in connection with Prajapati`s killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read