Gujarat police get Asaram`s custody
Zee Media Bureau
Jodhpur: A Gujarat Police team on Friday received the custody of controversial spiritual guru Asaram Bapu, who has been lodged in Jodhpur Central Jail since September 01 for allegedly sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl.
Earlier in the day, the court of the district and sessions judge (Jodhpur rural) extended, till October 25, the judicial custody of the spiritual guru Asaram Bapu.
The 72-year-old Asaram will now be taken to Ahemdabad.
On Thursday, the Gujarat police team arrived in Jodhpur, some 350 km from Jaipur, after a fresh case of sexual assault was registered against Asaram and his son Narayan Sai by two sisters from Surat.
The team then submitted an application to the district and sessions judge (Jodhpur rural) seeking custody of Asaram for questioning him in connection with cases registered against him in Surat.
The investigators had brought a production warrant from a court in Gandhinagar.
The Surat Police had registered two complaints - one against Asaram and another against son Narayan Sai - of rape, sexual assault, illegal confinement and other charges.
The complaint against Asaram was transferred to Chandkheda police station in Ahmedabad as the incident took place in Asaram`s ashram here.
On August 20, a 16-year-old girl lodged a police complaint accusing Asaram of sexually assaulting her at his ashram near Jodhpur.
Asaram was arrested from his ashram in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, and brought to Jodhpur on September 01.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family