HC gives split verdict on petition by MPSC chairman
Mumbai: A division bench of the Bombay High
Court on Monday gave a split verdict on a petition filed by former
IPS officer and chairman of Maharashtra Public Service
Commission (MPSC), Gyanchand Verma, seeking deletion of his
name as a suspect in the 2004 multi-crore MPSC scam.
While Justice A M Khanwilkar allowed Verma`s petition,
Justice A P Bhangale dismissed it. As the two judges have
differentiated in their verdict, the petition will now be
referred to a single bench.
Verma had approached the High Court last year seeking his
name to be removed from the supplementary chargesheet filed in
the MPSC paper leak scam in June 2004.
In 2001, MPSC had conducted examination for the
appointment of assistants in Mantralaya. However, there were
allegations of malpractices in the exam and a case was
registered by the Anti Corruption Bureau in 2002.
According to ACB, the original answer sheets were
replaced with fake ones, computer data was tampered with and
interview marks were hiked arbitrarily. 29 persons were
arrested including former MPSC chairman S D Karnik, former
examination controller Sudhakar Sarode, MPSC member Sayali
Joshi and deputy superintendent of police Baban Kadam in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics