Heat wave claims 7 lives in Gujarat; N India boils
New Delhi: The heat wave claimed seven lives
in Gujarat while northern belt continued to reel under intense
hot conditions today with the mercury settling above the
45-degree mark at several places.
Seven people, including a girl, died as intense heat
gripped Gujarat where Idar endured a hot day at 46.4 degrees
and Deesa 46.2 C. Two of the deaths were reported from
Ahmedabad, which recorded a high of 45.8 C, where 29 people
have died due to heat stroke since May 20.
Rajasthan`s Barmer was the hottest across the country at
48.1 degrees. Elsewhere in the desert state, Bikaner,
Srigangangar and Jodhpur recorded a day temperature of 47.5 C,
47.1 C and 46.4 C respectively.
Delhiites had to bear with scorching heat as the maximum
settled at 43.6 degree Celsius, three notches above normal,
while the minimum was recorded at 30.7 degrees.
The heat wave also prevailed in most parts of Punjab and
Haryana where Hisar baked at 47 C, six degrees above normal,
followed by Ludhiana 42.5 C and Patiala 42 C.
Amristsar recorded a day temperature of 41.7 C while it
was 41.1 C each in Chandigarh and Ambala.
In Maharashtra, Jalgaon district reeled under extreme hot
conditions as Bhusawal recorded 48 degree Celsius, followed by
Jalgaon 45.9 degrees.
In the Vidarbha region, Akola recorded a temperature of
46.8 degree Celsius, while Wardha and Chandrapur sizzled at
46 C and 45.5 C respectively.
Meanwhile, mercury fell slightly in Himachal Pradesh with
picturesque Shimla recording a maximum of 29.1 degrees against
30.2 C yesterday. The day temperature in Una, hottest place in
the hill state, settled at 42.2 C against 44 C the previous
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble