Heat wave claims 7 lives in Gujarat; N India boils
New Delhi: The heat wave claimed seven lives
in Gujarat while northern belt continued to reel under intense
hot conditions today with the mercury settling above the
45-degree mark at several places.
Seven people, including a girl, died as intense heat
gripped Gujarat where Idar endured a hot day at 46.4 degrees
and Deesa 46.2 C. Two of the deaths were reported from
Ahmedabad, which recorded a high of 45.8 C, where 29 people
have died due to heat stroke since May 20.
Rajasthan`s Barmer was the hottest across the country at
48.1 degrees. Elsewhere in the desert state, Bikaner,
Srigangangar and Jodhpur recorded a day temperature of 47.5 C,
47.1 C and 46.4 C respectively.
Delhiites had to bear with scorching heat as the maximum
settled at 43.6 degree Celsius, three notches above normal,
while the minimum was recorded at 30.7 degrees.
The heat wave also prevailed in most parts of Punjab and
Haryana where Hisar baked at 47 C, six degrees above normal,
followed by Ludhiana 42.5 C and Patiala 42 C.
Amristsar recorded a day temperature of 41.7 C while it
was 41.1 C each in Chandigarh and Ambala.
In Maharashtra, Jalgaon district reeled under extreme hot
conditions as Bhusawal recorded 48 degree Celsius, followed by
Jalgaon 45.9 degrees.
In the Vidarbha region, Akola recorded a temperature of
46.8 degree Celsius, while Wardha and Chandrapur sizzled at
46 C and 45.5 C respectively.
Meanwhile, mercury fell slightly in Himachal Pradesh with
picturesque Shimla recording a maximum of 29.1 degrees against
30.2 C yesterday. The day temperature in Una, hottest place in
the hill state, settled at 42.2 C against 44 C the previous
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy