Heavy rains trigger landslides, sweep away road
Dehradun: Heavy overnight rains lashed a number of places in Uttarakhand, triggering fresh landslides in Uttarkashi district where stretch of a road connecting a remote area was swept away by swollen Tehri lake.
Five trucks, parked along the road in Nalupani area of the district, were buried under huge piles of debris rolling down the hills following landslips triggered by heavy rains, officials said.
One kilometre stretch of Jogath motor road in Hadyari area of Uttarkashi was swept away by the waters of swollen Tehri lake tuesday morning after overnight rains.
The road is considered to be the lifeline for people living in the area and the villagers have staged a sit-in demanding its immediate restoration.
However, no untoward incident was reported from any other part of the state and the weather remained largely clear throughout the day.
Most of the rivers, flowing swollen due to recent continuous rains, have maintained their receding trend.
Ganga at Haridwar is flowing at 292.70 metres, a few notches below the danger level at 294 metres while the Tehri lake is at 818.92 metres, much below its level a few days back, State Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre sources said.
Munsyari in Pithoragarh district received the maximum 27 mm of rainfall, followed by Mussoorie 24 mm and Lansdowne in Pauri district 20 mm till this morning, the MeT department said.
Capital Dehradun recorded 1 mm rainfall, Pauri 7 mm, Bageshwar 3 mm and Ranikhet 3.4 mm, it said, adding that light to moderate rains are likely at a few places in the state during the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre