Heavy rains trigger landslides, sweep away road
Dehradun: Heavy overnight rains lashed a number of places in Uttarakhand, triggering fresh landslides in Uttarkashi district where stretch of a road connecting a remote area was swept away by swollen Tehri lake.
Five trucks, parked along the road in Nalupani area of the district, were buried under huge piles of debris rolling down the hills following landslips triggered by heavy rains, officials said.
One kilometre stretch of Jogath motor road in Hadyari area of Uttarkashi was swept away by the waters of swollen Tehri lake tuesday morning after overnight rains.
The road is considered to be the lifeline for people living in the area and the villagers have staged a sit-in demanding its immediate restoration.
However, no untoward incident was reported from any other part of the state and the weather remained largely clear throughout the day.
Most of the rivers, flowing swollen due to recent continuous rains, have maintained their receding trend.
Ganga at Haridwar is flowing at 292.70 metres, a few notches below the danger level at 294 metres while the Tehri lake is at 818.92 metres, much below its level a few days back, State Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre sources said.
Munsyari in Pithoragarh district received the maximum 27 mm of rainfall, followed by Mussoorie 24 mm and Lansdowne in Pauri district 20 mm till this morning, the MeT department said.
Capital Dehradun recorded 1 mm rainfall, Pauri 7 mm, Bageshwar 3 mm and Ranikhet 3.4 mm, it said, adding that light to moderate rains are likely at a few places in the state during the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town