House adjourned over move for separate gurdwara comm.
New Delhi: Both houses of Parliament were adjourned Thursday morning due to noisy protests over a reported move to have separate gurdwara management committees in different states.
MPs from the Akali Dal and the Bharatiya Janata Party were on their feet in both houses, protesting against what they termed as the government`s move to have separate Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committees (SGPC) in each state. Currently, the SGPC in Amritsar is the supreme body controlling Sikh shrines and religious affairs.
Unable to pacify the MPs, presiding officers of both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha adjourned the houses till noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday