House of Lords panel suspends Swraj Paul
London: The Privileges Committee of House
of Lords on Monday recommended suspension for varying periods of
three members of Asian-origin including Lord Swraj Paul,
despite finding that he had not acted "dishonestly or in bad
faith" in claiming certain allowances.
Bangladesh-born Baroness Manzila Pola Uddin faces
suspension for about 18 months, besides being asked to repay a
sum of over 125,000 pounds, Lord Amirali Alibhai Bhatia for 8
months and Lord Paul for 4 months for claiming allowances
which are paid to MPs who show their residences outside
The recommendations will be debated by the House on
October 21 before it takes a final decision.
The committee said about Lord Paul "We do not feel
justified in finding, on the balance of probabilities, that
Lord Paul acted dishonestly or in bad faith.
However, his actions were utterly unreasonable and
demonstrated gross irresponsibility and negligence."
Paul said in a statement after the report of the
Committee for Privileges and Conduct was made public that his
"honesty and integrity" had been upheld and yet he had been
He recalled when a newspaper had published allegations
against him a year back, he himself had requested an
investigation and had voluntarily and immediately repaid about
40,000 pounds which he had claimed in 2005-2006.
Moreover, the police had decided that there was no
case for him to answer.
The NRI industrialist said that the rules for such
allowances had been clarified and modified only in July this
year. He expressed the view that the Committee cannot apply
"perspective and standards" of 2010 to the rules operating in
"I am disappointed that I seem to have been treated
more harshly than others" he said, with reference to how the
cases of some other members have been dealt with.
Yet, he said, he has accepted the Committee`s decision
in the best tradition of parliamentary democracy.
Lord Bhatia has also maintained that he acted properly
in claiming the allowance. However, earlier this month he had
repaid about 27,000 pounds claimed by him earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery