Hyderabad HC issues notice to Mallika Sherawat, Centre for `obscene` poster
Hyderabad: The Hyderabad High Court on Monday issued notices to Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat and the Centre on a PIL against a poster of her upcoming film `Dirty Politics` that shows the Bollywood actress draped in the three colours of the national flag.
Admitting the PIL, the high court also issued a notice to KC Bokadia, producer of the film.
In his petition filed last week, a city-based rights activist T Dhangopal Rao alleged the actress and the film producer have intentionally insulted the national flag in the poster of `Dirty Politics`.
Assistant Solicitor General of India Narayan Reddy, who represents the government of India in the Hyderabad High Court, said the court ordered notices to the Centre, the film`s producer and the actress and asked the secretary of the Union Home Ministry (respondent 1) and other respondents to file their counter affidavits within three weeks.
"A division bench comprising Chief Justice Kalyan Jyoti Sengupta and Justice P V Sanjay Kumar heard the petition and today issued orders for notice to the secretary of the Union Ministry of Home Affairs, the actress and the producer asking them to file their affidavits before it within three weeks," said Dhangopal Rao.
"The film poster shows Mallika sitting atop a car fitted with a beacon and wrapped in tricolour below her waist. Offended by it, I filed the petition seeking action against the actress," Rao told mediapersons.
Use of the national flag for commercial purposes is an insult to the nation`s honour, Rao claimed in the petition and sought the court to restrain the producer from further exhibiting or displaying of the poster as part of the film`s promotion campaign.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!