I have no complaints, says 26/11 martyr`s father
New Delhi: A day after K. Mohanan, the uncle of Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, set himself ablaze here citing official apathy towards victims of the Mumbai terror attack, the slain soldier`s father said the allegations were Mohanan`s "personal opinion" and that his son had got all the respect he deserved from the government.
"Whatever Mohanan has written is his personal opinion and we have nothing to do with it. Our son has received all respect from the government of India," Unnikrishnan told reporters outside the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital. Unnikrishnan arrived here Friday to see his brother, who remains in critical state after his self-immolation attempt Thursday.
The hospital`s medical superintendent, T.S. Sidhu, said that Mohanan was still critical.
"We are constantly keeping an eye on his position. He is on ventilator and has 95 percent burn injuries," Sidhu told IANS.
A doctor said that it seemed from his initial statement that he was unhappy over the way victims of the Mumbai terrorist attack of 2008 were treated by the government. He was depressed.
According to police, Mohanan, 56, poured kerosene on his body and set himself on fire outside Gate No.4 of Parliament House near Vijay Chowk at around 6 p.m. Thursday.
"People at the spot tried to douse the fire and informed police after which Mohanan was rushed to the hospital," said a police officer who did not wish to be identified.
In the suicide note written in Malayalam, Mohanan said he was unhappy the way the government was treating victims of the Mumbai terror attack, which has been blamed on Pakistani terrorists.
"He was disturbed over the death of Sandeep. He wanted to feel the pain he might have suffered when he was shot by the terrorists," said the officer.
Sandeep Unnikrishnan, who was in the National Security Guard, died in the assault on the Taj Hotel in Mumbai.
Police recovered a train ticket and notebook from Mohanan`s possessions. "We think that he reached Delhi on Jan 30," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation