I will get more votes this time: Pranab
New Delhi: UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee was more than confident of getting more votes than expected in the presidential polls just after the voting ended Thursday, even stating he would get "many more" votes this time.
"Earlier, I used to get two votes - one was my vote and another my wife`s vote. But here I hope to get many more votes," a smiling Mukherjee said here. He had, as Lok Sabha member, cast his ballot in the presidential election in Parliament House earlier in the day.
Earlier, Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V. Narayanasamy said that Mukherjee will win by more than two-thirds majority. "He will get a minimum 7,20,000 votes," he said.
United Progressive Alliance leaders and Mukherjee`s poll managers are confident that their candidate will get more votes than expected, with some opposition MPs and legislators cross-voting.
In fact, a Bharatiya Janata Party legislator from Gujarat, Kanubhai Valabhai Kalsaria, had reportedly voted for Mukherjee against the party line. The BJP is supporting former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today
- Baaghi tweet review: First day first show!