Idea of MPs to pedal to Parliament to become reality soon
New Delhi: The idea of a handful of MPs to
pedal their way to Parliament could become a reality soon amid
chances that the trend will catch on among lawmakers who have
always upheld the `green` cause.
A suggestion by three members to cycle their way to the
Parliament House has been welcomed by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira
Kumar, herself a keen advocate of measures to tackle climate
Sandeep Dikshit, Bhartruhari Mahtab and Rajiv Pratap
Rudy`s request that they be allowed to pedal their way to the
Parliament has prompted the Lok Sabha Secretariat to prepare
the parking space and ensure the security.
Kumar has asked the Secretariat to examine the matter
sympathetically after East Delhi Congress MP Dikshit, son of
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, broached the issue along
with Mahtab (BJD) and Rudy (BJP) at a Parliamentary Forum on
Climate Change recently.
The Speaker told them that it was a "good idea" in view
of the global concern for the climate change. She told them
that in abroad, many lawmakers take it to the cycle.
Lok Sabha Secretary General PDT Achary said there was
no security issue involved and what was being examined was an
appropriate parking lot for the cycles.
Another `green` issue that the Lok Sabha was examining
was solar lighting and heating of Parliament House complex.
Minister for New and Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah has
already given his ministry`s presentation to the Speaker in
The matter is now being examined by the technical
committee which advises the high-level committee headed by the
Speaker to maintain the heritage status of Parliament House
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar