Ignoring BJP`s opposition, govt appoints Sinha as NHRC member
New Delhi: Setting aside BJP`s objection, the government has appointed NIA chief Sharad C Sinha as a member of the National Human Rights Commission.
A 1975-batch IPS officer from Haryana cadre, Sinha`s name was cleared by a majority decision of the six-member selection panel headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
President Pranab Mukherjee gave his assent to the appointment of 59-year-old Sinha who will have a tenure of five years. The post had fallen vacant last year after two successive terms of former CBI Director P C Sharma ended.
The selection panel included the Prime Minister, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha P J Kurien, Home Minister Sushilkuamr Shinde, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley.
Notwithstanding opposition from Swaraj and Jaitley over Sinha`s appointment, the government decided to go by majority and cleared his candidature.
Both the BJP leaders gave separate dissent notes to the Prime Minister-led selection panel that met on March 29.
Brushing aside opposition remarks over his appointment, the government reminded that during the appointment of P C Sharma, the then NDA government had gone ahead on the basis of majority.
Swaraj suggested in her dissent note that instead of IAS and IPS officers, who are the ones mostly facing charges of violating human rights, members of civil society and the marginalised and weaker sections be chosen for such jobs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31