IIT student held for `abducting` girl
New Delhi: An IIT-Delhi student has been taken into custody for allegedly blackmailing an IIT-Kanpur student.
The Uttar Pradesh police arrested Surendra Bukhiya, a B.Tech student, from the IIT campus in Delhi on charges of trying to blackmail the IIT-Kanpur student and attempting to kidnap her.
Bukhiya, a third year student of textile engineering at IIT-Delhi, was forcing the girl to marry him and even threatened to upload her obscene videos and pictures on the Internet if she failed to do so.
The arrest came three months after the girl had filed an FIR against him on November 26 last year, stating that the boy was threatening to misuse her pictures if she refused to marry him, Circle Officer Shailendra Lal said.
The girl had lost her mobile phone and purse in November, which was found by Bhukhiya, who hails from Warangal in Andhra Pradesh, Lal said.
The accused asked her to meet him to return the phone and on this pretext, abducted her, the CO said.
He took her to a temple and attempted to force her to marry him, but she managed to escape, Lal said. Following the incident, Bhukhiya threatened to misuse her photographs obtained from her phone, and sent her vulgar messages over email, Facebook and phone, he said.
The girl tried to reason with him, but after all else failed, she registered an FIR, following which the accused was arrested from the IIT Delhi campus, he said.
IIT Kanpur administration refused to comment on the matter saying the matter was being investigated by the police. Further investigations are on in the matter, Lal said.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof