`Image, age, fighting spirit criteria in selecting new PCC chiefs`
New Delhi: Congress considered three factors - clean image, youth and fighting spirit for appointment of PCC chiefs in West Bengal, Haryana and Kerala.
While Union Minister Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, who has been made the West Bengal PCC chief, is known for his aggressive stance against the Mamata Banerjee-led ruling Trinamool Congress in the state, the new Kerala Congress head was a clean man respected by all, said a senior leader who was involved in the exercise to find the new state presidents.
Marking a generational shift, the party has already brought in Sachin Pilot and Arun Yadav to head its units in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh, respectively.
The new PCC chief for Haryana is young Dalit MP Ashok Tanwar. Tanwar has been a former NSUI and Youth Congress leader. He succeeded Phulchand Mulana, also a Dalit leader and a close associate of Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
Congress sources said that the party had considered caste equations in Kerala in selecting Sudheeran, who belongs to the numerically strong backward Ezhava community, for the PCC chief`s post.
The 65-year-old leader, who has often taken on caste outfits in the state, is a leader acceptable to all sections of Kerala society.
He replaces Ramesh Chennithala, who was backed by the influential Nair community. Chennithala was last month made the Kerala Home Minister.
In choosing Sudheeran, the Congress high command has over- ruled Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and Chennithala who were pressing for G Karthikeyan to be appointed to the PCC post. Karthikeyan is the Assembly Speaker.
The senior party leader, who did not want to be named, said that with the appointment of Chowdhury as WBPCC Chief, "it is now very clear that there would be no truck with Mamata" in West Bengal.
Chowdhury, the Minister of State for Railways, replaces Pradip Bhattacharya, MP, who was the acting WBPCC chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow