Impt progress in Mumbai blasts probe: Home Secy

Last Updated: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 19:38

Thimphu: Investigation into the July 13
serial blasts in Mumbai has made "important progress" and the
probe was on right track, Union Home Secretary RK Singh said
on Thursday.

"There is important progress in Mumbai," he told PTI when
asked whether there was any breakthrough in the probe into the
three blasts in the metropolis in which 20 people lost their
lives.

The Home Secretary said the investigation was on right
track but refused to disclose further.

Singh was on his way to Thimphu to attend the three-day
conference of the SAARC Interior/Home Ministers that began
here today.

In his first visit abroad after taking charge as Home
Secretary, he will review the progress made in the
implementation of the decisions taken at the previous meeting
held on June 25, 2010 at Islamabad.

The meeting will be followed by the fourth meeting of
SAARC Interior and Home Ministers tomorrow. Home Minister P
Chidambaram will be attending the meet.

Both the central security agencies and Maharashtra
Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) have scanned over one lakh phone
calls so far to nab the accused behind the deadly terrorist
attack in the country`s financial capital.

Several teams of investigators have been rushed to
various states including Madhya Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan and
Gujarat in a bid to get leads in the case.

20 people were killed and over 130 injured in the triple
blasts at Dadar, Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House on July 13.

Maharashtra ATS has made a sketch of a probable suspect
in the Zaveri Bazar blast and has circulated it only to select
investigators and top informers.

About 501 people have been killed and nearly 2,200 others
have been injured in 13 terror attacks which have rocked
Maharashtra since 2002.

Police from neighbouring states are also extending
support to Maharashtra ATS and central intelligence agencies
to trace the accused behind the attack.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress chairperson Sonia
Gandhi and Home Minister P Chidambaram among others have
visited Mumbai after the blasts to express solidarity towards
victims.

Maharashtra government has announced a compensation of Rs
5 lakh to the families of those killed and Rs 50,000 to those
injured in the triple bomb blasts.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 19:38

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus