Include death penalty as punishment for gang-rape: BJP
New Delhi: BJP has recommended including death penalty as punishment for those convicted of gang-rape, abduction and rape, and custodial rape among other suggestions submitted by the party on Wednesday to the Verma committee on making a strong anti-rape law.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari sent the suggestions to Justice (retd) JS Justice Verma after some initial hiccups about presenting its views to the three-member panel.
While a section within the party was against sending the recommendations, other senior leaders felt since Congress has sent the suggestions and there is a strong sentiment against the Delhi gang-rape case, BJP should not be seen as being aloof from the exercise for making a strong law.
BJP`s recommendations include amending the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000 to change the definition of juvenile to "a person who has not completed 16 years of age" from the present provision of 18 years. But the party was not clear on whether it wants this only for sexual crimes or other cases as well.
"A person convicted for a gangrape or a custodial rape or a rape committed after abduction or kidnapping must be punished upto death," the party said in its suggestions.
Even in cases where the victim was afflicted by a "life altering event" by virtue of a mental or physical injury or an attempt on her life, the accused must be punished with death, the party said. This recommendation has apparently been made in the light of the December 16 Delhi gangrape case.
In an effort to make the process of lodging a rape complaint easier for a victim, BJP has said the statement of the complainant should be lodged in the presence of a woman cop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year