Include death penalty as punishment for gang-rape: BJP
New Delhi: BJP has recommended including death penalty as punishment for those convicted of gang-rape, abduction and rape, and custodial rape among other suggestions submitted by the party on Wednesday to the Verma committee on making a strong anti-rape law.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari sent the suggestions to Justice (retd) JS Justice Verma after some initial hiccups about presenting its views to the three-member panel.
While a section within the party was against sending the recommendations, other senior leaders felt since Congress has sent the suggestions and there is a strong sentiment against the Delhi gang-rape case, BJP should not be seen as being aloof from the exercise for making a strong law.
BJP`s recommendations include amending the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000 to change the definition of juvenile to "a person who has not completed 16 years of age" from the present provision of 18 years. But the party was not clear on whether it wants this only for sexual crimes or other cases as well.
"A person convicted for a gangrape or a custodial rape or a rape committed after abduction or kidnapping must be punished upto death," the party said in its suggestions.
Even in cases where the victim was afflicted by a "life altering event" by virtue of a mental or physical injury or an attempt on her life, the accused must be punished with death, the party said. This recommendation has apparently been made in the light of the December 16 Delhi gangrape case.
In an effort to make the process of lodging a rape complaint easier for a victim, BJP has said the statement of the complainant should be lodged in the presence of a woman cop.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know