Include death penalty as punishment for gang-rape: BJP
New Delhi: BJP has recommended including death penalty as punishment for those convicted of gang-rape, abduction and rape, and custodial rape among other suggestions submitted by the party on Wednesday to the Verma committee on making a strong anti-rape law.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari sent the suggestions to Justice (retd) JS Justice Verma after some initial hiccups about presenting its views to the three-member panel.
While a section within the party was against sending the recommendations, other senior leaders felt since Congress has sent the suggestions and there is a strong sentiment against the Delhi gang-rape case, BJP should not be seen as being aloof from the exercise for making a strong law.
BJP`s recommendations include amending the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000 to change the definition of juvenile to "a person who has not completed 16 years of age" from the present provision of 18 years. But the party was not clear on whether it wants this only for sexual crimes or other cases as well.
"A person convicted for a gangrape or a custodial rape or a rape committed after abduction or kidnapping must be punished upto death," the party said in its suggestions.
Even in cases where the victim was afflicted by a "life altering event" by virtue of a mental or physical injury or an attempt on her life, the accused must be punished with death, the party said. This recommendation has apparently been made in the light of the December 16 Delhi gangrape case.
In an effort to make the process of lodging a rape complaint easier for a victim, BJP has said the statement of the complainant should be lodged in the presence of a woman cop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured