Include death penalty as punishment for gang-rape: BJP
New Delhi: BJP has recommended including death penalty as punishment for those convicted of gang-rape, abduction and rape, and custodial rape among other suggestions submitted by the party on Wednesday to the Verma committee on making a strong anti-rape law.
BJP President Nitin Gadkari sent the suggestions to Justice (retd) JS Justice Verma after some initial hiccups about presenting its views to the three-member panel.
While a section within the party was against sending the recommendations, other senior leaders felt since Congress has sent the suggestions and there is a strong sentiment against the Delhi gang-rape case, BJP should not be seen as being aloof from the exercise for making a strong law.
BJP`s recommendations include amending the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000 to change the definition of juvenile to "a person who has not completed 16 years of age" from the present provision of 18 years. But the party was not clear on whether it wants this only for sexual crimes or other cases as well.
"A person convicted for a gangrape or a custodial rape or a rape committed after abduction or kidnapping must be punished upto death," the party said in its suggestions.
Even in cases where the victim was afflicted by a "life altering event" by virtue of a mental or physical injury or an attempt on her life, the accused must be punished with death, the party said. This recommendation has apparently been made in the light of the December 16 Delhi gangrape case.
In an effort to make the process of lodging a rape complaint easier for a victim, BJP has said the statement of the complainant should be lodged in the presence of a woman cop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city