Increase financial support to UN body: India
New York: India has called on the international community to increase its financial support to the United Nations` body dealing with women`s empowerment, to help it meet the global commitments of gender equality.
Addressing the annual session of UN Women`s executive board yesterday, India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri said work on gender equality and empowerment of women continues to remain "chronically underfunded".
Puri said in order to ensure that UN Women stands for action, the donor community must move beyond the political rhetoric of just stated commitments, and transform them into the much needed monetary support for the organisation.
"We hope that the comprehensive resource mobilisation strategy would help in widening the donor base in order to secure the resources required by UN Women in meeting its global commitments," the Indian envoy said.
India has promised a five million dollar contribution to the core predictable funding of UN Women, which became operational in January 2011.
Of this, it has already contributed two million dollars.
Puri said that India would always be willing to "walk the extra mile" and continue to provide full political and financial support to UN Women, calling on other nations to do the same.
He reaffirmed India`s steadfast commitment to the all round social, economic and political empowerment of women, "whatever effort and resources the task might take".
India also extended its support to improve the organisational structure of UN Women to make it more dynamic, decentralised, cohesive and well-connected as the agency undertakes a regional architecture review of its structure.
Puri said that among the key challenges faced by UN Women in 2011 was the systematic exclusion of women from peace negotiations and their economic exclusion.
"While identification of such critical challenges is important, it may also be worthwhile suggesting approaches to address these challenges in the future strategic plans, so that decision makers are able to factor such approaches during the policy formulation stage itself," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why