India asks Pakistan to punish 26/11 accused
New Delhi: Hours after Supreme Court upheld the death sentence of LeT terrorist Ajmal Kasab, India on Wednesday asked Pakistan to punish those involved in Mumbai terror attack and were currently living in that country.
"After today`s verdict on Kasab, Pakistan should ensure that others involved in 26/11 living in that country should also be punished," Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said after the apex court judgement upholding the death sentence of 26/11 attack convict Kasab.
Shinde said New Delhi has taken up with Islamabad the issue of bringing the perpetrators of the Mumbai attack to justice and would continue to do so till all guilty are punished.
"Whatever steps need to be taken, we will do. Pakistan must punish all guilty," he said.
Asked whether the execution of Kasab would take time since he may move a mercy petition to President, the Home Minister said if he files mercy petition, government would ensure that it is disposed of as early as possible.
"If Ajmal Kasab files mercy plea, we will ensure that it is disposed of in minimum time," he said.
Later, Union Home Secretary R K Singh said Kasab has not yet filed any mercy petition. "We will see once he does," he said.
India has been maintaining that LeT founder Hafiz Sayeed, two ISI officers, LeT commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and several other terrorists were involved in planning and executing India`s worst terrorists attack which claimed 166 lives.
So far, no person has been punished in Pakistan for the crime despite India giving that country enough evidence against those involved in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened