India, Canada to sign social security pact
New Delhi: India and Canada are expected to
sign a social security agreement next month which will relieve
workers from double taxation while working in each other`s
Under the agreement, Indian workers on short term
contracts of up to five years are likely to get relief from
making any social security contribution in Canada provided
they continue to make similar payments in India. Similar
benefits will also be available to Canadian citizens working
"We want to get it signed at the earliest. Canada is
supposed to get back to us with a date on which we can sign
the pact," Atul Kumar Tiwari, Joint Secretary in Ministry of
Overseas Indian Affairs, told agency.
Sources said the pact is likely to be signed during
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper`s visit here next
"Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper is expected to
visit India in the second half of November. The agreement is
expected to be signed then," they said.
The agreement will also help in transfer of benefits in
case a worker relocates to India after having made social
security contribution during a longer term employment in
The number of Indians and Indian origin people in Canada
is around 10 lakh.
India has already signed similar agreements with Germany,
Belgium, France, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Luxembourg,
Hungary, Denmark, Czech Republic, South Korea and Norway.
The signing of the agreement would help Indian companies
operating in Canada as exemption from social security
contribution will reduce cost of operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now