India, Canada to sign social security pact
New Delhi: India and Canada are expected to
sign a social security agreement next month which will relieve
workers from double taxation while working in each other`s
Under the agreement, Indian workers on short term
contracts of up to five years are likely to get relief from
making any social security contribution in Canada provided
they continue to make similar payments in India. Similar
benefits will also be available to Canadian citizens working
"We want to get it signed at the earliest. Canada is
supposed to get back to us with a date on which we can sign
the pact," Atul Kumar Tiwari, Joint Secretary in Ministry of
Overseas Indian Affairs, told agency.
Sources said the pact is likely to be signed during
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper`s visit here next
"Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper is expected to
visit India in the second half of November. The agreement is
expected to be signed then," they said.
The agreement will also help in transfer of benefits in
case a worker relocates to India after having made social
security contribution during a longer term employment in
The number of Indians and Indian origin people in Canada
is around 10 lakh.
India has already signed similar agreements with Germany,
Belgium, France, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Luxembourg,
Hungary, Denmark, Czech Republic, South Korea and Norway.
The signing of the agreement would help Indian companies
operating in Canada as exemption from social security
contribution will reduce cost of operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested