India is an incredibly dynamic nation: US lawmaker
Washington: Describing India as an "incredibly dynamic country", a top US lawmaker has said there are a broad spectrum of opportunities, including in the economic sector, for the two countries to collaborate.
House member Peter Roskam, the newly-elected Republican co-chair of the Congressional caucus on India and Indian Americans, made the comment during a meeting Friday with the Indian Ambassador Nirupama Rao on Capitol Hill.
Roskam, who is participating in a Congressional delegation visiting India next week, said that he looked forward to using his visit to learn more about India, and to help the House India Caucus in advancing the India-US strategic partnership.
He also spoke warmly about the Indian friends he had known since his childhood and said there were shared values and complementarities between India and the US, according to an Indian Embassy media release.
Rao, in turn, gave an overview of the current economic outlook of India and agreed with Roskam about the bright prospects for business and economic cooperation between the two countries, it said.
Both she and Roskam also praised the role played by the Indian American community in taking this relationship forward.
Earlier Thursday, Rao hosted a welcome reception at her residence for two newly elected House members, Ami Bera, the only Indian American member of US Congress, and Tulsi Gabbard the first ever Hindu-American to be elected to the US House.
The presence of Bera and Gabbard in the US Congress "brings great meaning to our mission and our task of taking US-India relations further forward to greater and greater heights," she said.
Throughout their lives, they have been touched by the spirit of India and by the message of great leaders like Mahatma Gandhi who personified the spirit of selfless service in the cause of freedom and democracy, Rao said.
She also wished them great success in the cause of serving their country and building friendship between two great countries - India and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145