India, Maldives hold Defence Minister-level talks
New Delhi: India and Maldives today agreed to enhance their defence cooperation and continue to work together to tackle regional security concerns at the Defence Minister-level talks between the two sides on Monday.
During the meeting between Defence Minister A K Antony and his Maldivian counterpart Colonel Mohamed Nazim, the Indian side "conveyed that India stands committed to enhance the ongoing defence and security partnership with Maldives."
"Both sides also agreed that there is a need for India and Maldives to continue to work together to tackle security concerns in the interests of peace and stability in the region," the Defence Ministry said in a release.
The two Ministers reviewed the ongoing exchanges between the two sides in training, exercises and strengthening of infrastructure and capabilities and agreed that "as close neighbours sharing common security concerns, there is scope to further develop the relationship in mutually agreed areas."
This is the first visit by a senior Maldivian Minister to India after the recent political turbulence there due to a tussle between the Md Waheed government and former President Mohammed Nasheed which had brought bilateral relations under strain.
During Antony`s Male visit last year, India had pushed for installation of more coastal radars in the Indian Ocean sland nation.
Before the talks begun today, Antony said he and his Maldivian counterpart would take forward the deliberations they had in Male last year.
Nazim is also expected to meet the three Services chiefs, officials said. Soon after Antony`s visit to Male, Nazim had gone to Beijing where the two sides decided to expand military cooperation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA