India, Mauritius ink agreement on election management
New Delhi: India and Mauritius on Friday signed an agreement for cooperation in the field of election management and administration.
Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath and Electoral Commissioner of Mauritius Mohammad Irfan Abdool Rahman signed the MoU in the presence of Election Commissioners H S Brahma and Nasim Zaidi, diplomats and senior officials of poll bodies of the two nations.
The MoU aims at promotion of exchanges of knowledge and experience in electoral processes, exchange of information, materials, expertise and training of personnel, production and distribution of materials pertaining to electoral systems, voting technology, voters` education and awareness and participation of women and minorities in electoral process.
Sampath described the MoU as a landmark and an important mechanism for strengthening and deepening mutual collaboration between the EC and the Electoral Commission of Mauritius.
Expressing confidence that the MoU will facilitate sharing of best practices, skills and experiences between the two institutions for mutual benefit, he said the partnership between India and Mauritius augurs well not only for the region but for the whole world.
Brahma offered available expertise and facilities in India for strengthening the electoral system in Mauritius.
The Mauritian Electoral Commissioner praised the expertise and experience gained by the EC over six decades in conducting the largest elections in the world in a peaceful, transparent and credible manner.
Rahman acknowledged that the Model Electoral Code of Mauritius has drawn inspiration from India`s Model Code of Conduct.
The EC has so far signed seventeen MoUs with election management bodies and international organisations across the world, including those with Egypt, Venezuela, Republic of Korea and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in the recent times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill