India, Mauritius ink agreement on election management
New Delhi: India and Mauritius on Friday signed an agreement for cooperation in the field of election management and administration.
Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath and Electoral Commissioner of Mauritius Mohammad Irfan Abdool Rahman signed the MoU in the presence of Election Commissioners H S Brahma and Nasim Zaidi, diplomats and senior officials of poll bodies of the two nations.
The MoU aims at promotion of exchanges of knowledge and experience in electoral processes, exchange of information, materials, expertise and training of personnel, production and distribution of materials pertaining to electoral systems, voting technology, voters` education and awareness and participation of women and minorities in electoral process.
Sampath described the MoU as a landmark and an important mechanism for strengthening and deepening mutual collaboration between the EC and the Electoral Commission of Mauritius.
Expressing confidence that the MoU will facilitate sharing of best practices, skills and experiences between the two institutions for mutual benefit, he said the partnership between India and Mauritius augurs well not only for the region but for the whole world.
Brahma offered available expertise and facilities in India for strengthening the electoral system in Mauritius.
The Mauritian Electoral Commissioner praised the expertise and experience gained by the EC over six decades in conducting the largest elections in the world in a peaceful, transparent and credible manner.
Rahman acknowledged that the Model Electoral Code of Mauritius has drawn inspiration from India`s Model Code of Conduct.
The EC has so far signed seventeen MoUs with election management bodies and international organisations across the world, including those with Egypt, Venezuela, Republic of Korea and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in the recent times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!