‘India must boycott London Games if DOW sponsors’
New Delhi: Survivors of the Bhopal gas
tragedy on Wednesday demanded that India should "boycott" London
Olympics if DOW Chemicals continues to be one of its sponsors,
holding the multinational company responsible for their woes.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the Bhopal
Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sangathan (BGPMUS) demanded that the
government must demand that the British Government and the
London Olympic Committee to reject DOW Chemicals sponsorship.
"If they fail to do so, India must boycott the London
Olympics," the letter said.
"The least that DOW Chemicals can do is take steps for
cleaning up the thousands of tons of toxic waste dumped and
left in Bhopal by the Union Carbide Corporation", it said.
Alleging "misuse" by state government of funds granted by
the Centre for relief and rehabilitation of the gas tragedy
victims, the letter said that the Prime Minister should
convene a meeting of victims and survivors with the Empowered
Group of Ministers (EGoM) to "find amicable remedies" at the
The letter also slammed the government and the
implementing agencies for making "negligible progress" on the
recommendations made by the EGoM last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere