India not to be deterred by terror attacks in Afghanistan
United Nations: India has said it will not be deterred by terror attacks against its people and interests in Afghanistan, as it assured the war-torn nation of its continued support during the period of transition.
India`s Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN Manjeev Singh Puri told the UN Security Council that the security situation in Afghanistan is "fragile" due to the continued threat of terrorist and extremist groups.
Puri cited last month`s "condemnable" attack on the Indian Consulate in Jalalabad in which several Afghan security personnel guarding the Consulate were injured and several innocent Afghan citizens, including 10 children, were killed.
"India does not have an `exit policy` in Afghanistan and will not be deterred by such attacks. We do not see this attack as only aimed against India, but also against the efforts of the Afghan people to overcome the tragic consequences of the last several decades of war and conflict," he said at a Security Council debate on UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) here yesterday.
Terming as "merciless" the killing of India-born author Sayed Kamala Sushmita Banerjee, he said the incident reflects the "intolerance" of those who oppose Afghanistan`s socio- economic development as also the challenge that lies ahead.
Banerjee, 49, was married to an Afghan businessman and recently moved to Afghanistan to live with him. She was killed by a renegade Taliban militia in eastern Paktika province.
Noting that Afghanistan is going through critical security, political and economic transitions, Puri said a peaceful and free election process that elects an Afghan President acceptable to the people of Afghanistan "remains the key."
He said the presidential polls in 2014 would be a "significant" step towards the political reconstruction effort in Afghanistan which "must always remain Afghan-led and Afghan-owned."
India called on the international community to support the Afghan authorities and strongly oppose any outside effort to derail the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read