India, Pak must engage themselves in a meaningful dialogue: D Raja
New Delhi: Communist Party of India (CPI ) leader D Raja on Wednesday said that India and Pakistan must trust each other and engage themselves in a meaningful dialogue.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has gone to the US. His primary purpose is to address the UN General Assembly, which is going to review Millennium Development Goals. But at same time, the Prime Minister has an opportunity to meet Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif as well as US President Barack Obama. So, as far as Pakistan is concerned, yes, this is an opportunity. India and Pakistan must reach out to each other, and try to build trust in our relationship," Raja said.
"As there have been ups and down in the relation between both countries, in such a situation, both countries must engage themselves in a meaningful dialogue. Both countries must continue to talk and uninterrupted talks must go on, that is what I strongly feel," he added.
Dr Singh, in his departure statement released before embarking on a five-day visit to the United States, said he looks forward to bilateral meetings with leaders of some neighbouring countries including Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.
"During my visit to New York, I also look forward to bilateral meetings with the leaders of some of our neighbouring countries, including Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan," he said.
Tension has been running high along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch District since August 6 when five Indian soldiers were ambushed and killed by Pakistan`s Specialist Forces.
After that incident and a series of ceasefire violations at the LoC, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had urged the Prime Minister not to hold talks with Sharif unless Pakistan demonstrated some commitment to ending attacks in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US