India takes up case of child in foster care in US
New York: Indian missions in the US have taken up with authorities the case of an Indian couple who have been denied custody of their child after he suffered head injuries in a fall.
US authorities took the one-year-old boy, Indrashish, under their care after the accident at the New Jersey home of an Indian engineer Debasish Saha, 28 on Aug 9. The child is currently in Children`s Specialised Hospital, New Brunswick, New Jersey, according to the Consulate General of India in New York. Prior to this, he had undergone treatment at Goryeb Children`s Hospital in Morristown, New Jersey.
The Indian mission here said Saha had conveyed to it the concern of the couple and other family members that the child has not yet been handed over to them. The consulate said it has also been informed of a case filed by the Division of Child Protection and Permanency, New Jersey, in the Morristown County Court.
The consulate said it has requested the US Department of State (Office of Foreign Missions) in New York to have the concerns of the parents addressed.
The Embassy of India in Washington has also taken up the matter with the US Department of State.
The matter came up before a New Jersey court Friday and it asked Saha to appear with a lawyer Sep 14. The court has asked Saha to suggest names of relatives who could be given the custody of the child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Rio medals devalued! Absence of Russian stars hurts 2016 Olympic Games: Vladimir Putin
- Antrix-Devas deal: India to appeal against Hague tribunal's verdict
- Development initiatives got huge setback in J&K: Mehbooba
- The answer to past earthquakes lies with the ancient Himalayan temples!
- No separate guidelines for defence PSUs on JVs: Govt