India to get second AWACS on Thursday
New Delhi: India will receive another
Israeli-made Phalcon Airborne Early Warning and Control System
(AWACS) on Thursday, giving it the second `eye in the sky` for
enhanced surveillance that would virtually cover the entire
The second AWACS will arrive in Jamnagar in Gujarat and
will be deployed in Agra, IAF officials said here today.
With the arrival of the second AWACS, officials said the
IAF can keep an eye on both the eastern and western front at
the same time.
"After the induction of the third system, we would be
able to virtually cover the whole nation at one go," they
The system, primarily used for detection of incoming
hostile cruise missiles and aircraft from hundreds of
kilometers away, can also direct air defence fighters during
combat operations against enemy jets. It also helps detect
troop build up across the borders.
The AWACS are being procured from Israel under a 2003
deal worth USD 1.1 billion.
The tripartite deal also involved Russia as three
Phalcon radars are to be mounted on Russia-make IL-76
heavylift transport aircraft, of which the first was delivered
in May last year.
The AWACS aircraft are operated by the Agra-based 50
squadron and after their induction on May 28 last year, they
have been carrying out extensive flying operations with
frontline fighters such as the Su-30MKI, Mirage-2000 and the
The AWACS also took part in the recently-held major
exercise codenamed `Vayushakti` and controlled the flight
operations of over 100 aircraft participating in the massive
Known as `eye in the sky` for its surveillance and
target acquisition capabilities, an AWACS provides IAF the
means to keep a tab on enemy aircraft and missiles taking off
from across the border, thereby enhancing response time.
India and Israel are said to be in advanced
negotiations for the purchase of three more Phalcon AWACS,
which the IAF proposes to integrate with other air and ground
assets. All six AWACS would be linked with the country`s first
military satellite proposed to be launched by the middle of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video